Originally Posted By Supercuda
Originally Posted By Stanton

As for the comment regarding the time/cost to build ... there aren't many guys on the planet who build "everything". At some point you have to look at things and consider that your time is better spent elsewhere - either in other area of your project or at a job that makes you more money than an item is worth. I'm all for building stuff - its how I make a living - but my time is way better spent building and selling my product than building something like a surge tank. I can buy three surge tanks with what I make in the same amount of time it would take to build one. Now if I wanted a custom surge tank to fit a specific area, no problem, I'd build it. But in some cases reinventing the wheel is just impractical.

Absolutely, there are things I cannot do, I can't weld well enough to trust my work, so I farm it out. I'll tack it then have someone better than me do the welding.

But a surge tank really isn't rocket science. Heck some metal pipe with a couple thread on caps would suffice if ugly doesn't bother you. Being on a budget I can't see spending extra money on something I could make (surge tank) when I could spend it on something I can't make (intake, cam, etc) and $400 buys a lot of stuff I can't make.

I think his point is that for $400 you get gauges, fittings, hose, and most importantly, the in-tank pump. If you build your own, you will have to buy all of those things anyway except for the tank... so lets say that it costs $150 for the tank itself. Not a terrible deal, and it looks better than anything that I personally (and most people) would be able to make!

As for the original question, I myself agonized over the same issue when I did my EFI project. I went with the Aeromotive Phantom kit which is similar to that Tanks-inc kit and am only sort of happy with the install. I couldn't bring myself to cut the trunk floor, so I spaced the tank down with some heavy rubber strips. If you are fine with cutting the trunk then do that.

Is this Tanks-Inc tank available? Would probably put you over your budget, but sure is nice.. I 100% would have gone this way if they had been available when I did mine:

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/p...prod/prd481.htm

beer

Paul
'69 Super Bee 383 EFI Turbo