Long story so bear with me..
Ok, I bought a VERY clean, nice 2004 dodge stratus sedan with the 2.4 DOHC engine, auto trans. Only has 109k on it. I bought it with a harsh 4-3 downshift at 30 mph. I have researched this problem on the web for a week now and seems there are 2 things that could be doing this. ok, Most research points to this service bulletin #21-006-03 REV. A. The other thing could be a front pump losing prime but they say that usually sets trans codes. Mine is not setting any codes and shifts flawless everywhere besides the harsh 4-3 downshift at 30 MPH. So, obviously the first thing i want to try is the bulletin, which is a software program update. SO, i go to the nearest dodge dealer and drive up to the service lane and the guy asks what i need. I handed him a copy of the bulletin and told him i wanted to get the software update and he asked why, i told him i have a harsh 4-3 downshift at 30 mph, exactly what the bulletin addresses. So i jumps in the car and plugs this little black box up and starts the car. The little box records the info from the car. Then he gets out and goes to his computer and plugs up the box to it. He says 'Its showing everything in the car is already up to date'. Im thinking thats not right because theres supposed to be a sticker under the hood showing this update has been done if it has been done. But anyways, his computer is showing a list of TSB's and this is one is not listed so he said maybe mine wasnt one of them needing it. I knew that was bull because the bulletin lists my car along with older and newer ones and other models, like jeeps etc..so i told him everyone ive talked to about this problem said to get the software update done first before anything else because it may very well take care of the problem. So he then goes and talks to the tech and then comes back and says they will do it but dont have time today and schedules me an appointment to come back in 2 weeks as they are very busy and he needs the car all day so he can get to it. Then i asked him if the updated program was already in the car or not, and he said yeas but it could be corrupted, blah blah, etc and they will redo it and see if that fixes it..SO, i dont know what to think. Shouldnt they be able to actually plug the scanner up and see what the latest version is in the car? I dont know whether to believe him that the bulletin has already been done or if he just said it was because they were so busy and couldnt get to it.. I just highly doubt its been done. I really think it is the problem and this would fix it seeing as there are no other problems with it. From what ive read, usually if its the front pump, that it will ALSO have a delayed engagement problem along with the harsh 4-3 downshift, and i dont have the delayed engagement problem, so..