Originally Posted By TRENDZ
Originally Posted By dartman366
Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Aftermarket ring and pinions are ALL made from exactly the same stuff. Yet some rears shell teeth off like chiclets and some hardly ever break. What, you think 8.75 gears are made weaker than Danas, or that slight increase in ring gear size "fixes" the issue...........hell no. It's ALL about stuff moving that is not supposed to move. It's been pointed out several times, that 8.75s and Danas, as well as Fords have roughly the same diameter pinion shaft and there is little difference in ring gear diameters..............so, if you look at it from something resembling a rational thought process, that leaves only the CASE as the inherent problem. Most all cast rears have cast caps. Why don't the rest of them spit caps off?
only real difference is the heat treat of that same material, as for the 8.75 they are a good diff for their intended purpose, but I changed to a D-60 after grenadeing my 8.75 and never looked back.

Here...
Rear End Technical Information
Pro Gears and Street Gears
Pro gears are made from 9310 and then heat treated. Itis a softer alloy than the 8620 Street gears. The softer 9310 alloy allows the gear to absorb higher impact loads that are generated in drag racing without developing cracks. A harder 8620 street gear could shatter under the same loads. As a side effect the "Pro" gears are not the best choice for street use as they will wear faster. Also available in the "Pro" gears is a large pinion with a 35 spline shaft for high powered applications. This requires a bearing change in the pinion support as well as a 35 spline pinion yoke. Gears termed 9-1/2" are also available for the 9" thirdmember. They offer a slight strength advantage over a standard 9" gear.
I think everyone knows this........so was there a point to this?