Quote:

I read somewhere recently that in 73 the "light group" consisted of the following;

courticy light
glove box light
ash tray light
map light
?console light?
trunk light
???anything else???

I was looking at the fender tag on dad's Rallye and saw that he DID NOT get the light group, but the car has some of the features of that package. The car has glove box, trunk and map light. When you turned the knob on the dash, the overhead light would come on witch I assume is the courticy light. I'm not sure about the ashtray though. Were some of these things standard even if you didn't opt for the "light group?" Did you get some with the Rallye package even though I havn't seen anything like that listed in the A57 package?

Per the 73 coding guide, the following was included with the A01-Light Pkg: (Order codes from the broadcast sheet are listed in parentheses)

(L31) Turn Signal Indicator-Fender Mounted
(L25) Trunk Light
(L11) Glove Box light
(L15) Ash Receiver Light
(L65) Ignition Switch Light w/Time Delay
(L74) Instrument Panel Flood Light w/Time Delay
(L05) Map/Courtesy Light

I have a 73 Challenger that I bought when it was 6 mos. old w/6000 miles on it. It was bone stock original, and unmolested, so I can verify the way it came from the factory.

The car is a 318, non-rallye car. It did come with the A01-Light Pkg. However, this code does not appear on my fender tag or broadcast sheet. A note in Section "A" on the B/Cast sheet, which would list codes for "Combination Groups", says: Only group codes with non-coded items will be B/Cast. Other groups to be shown by individual item codes only. That is why the A01 pkg. is not called out on the B/cast sheet, and probably the same reason it is not listed on the fender tag.
Every individual item listed in the group has it's own separate code on the B/Cast sheet.

What is listed on my fender tag is the following:

(L25) Trunk Light
(L31) Turn Signal Indicators-Fender Mounted

Notice that these are the only two lights in the pkg. that are not in the interior of the car, so I assume that that is why they are listed on the fender tag, and not the interior lights. Don't ask me why, because I don't know.

If you will notice, the map/courtesy lights are two names for the same light. It is the light under the dash on the passenger side.

The light that comes on when you turn the dash switch is the dome light, and it came standard on all E-bodies.

All of the lights that I listed as part of the A01-Light Pkg. only came with the pkg. You could not order them individually. No lights came as part of the A57-Rallye pkg. Also, a console light was never offered. However, all console-equpped automatics had a shift-indicator light as std. equipment.

Also, as a side note, in 1970 the coding guide says that the fender-mounted turn signals were omitted on R/T's and the A66-340 pkg. I don't know if this was the case in 73, as the coding guide makes no mention of it. I've heard that the reason that they were omitted is because the raised R/T hood blocked the driver's view of the light that was mounted on the passsenger fender. I don't know this reason to be fact, but it's the only one that makes any sense.

I hope that the above info. is a big help to you.

Allen

Last edited by 318 Stroker; 01/09/09 09:39 PM.