Originally Posted By sash7
This is bizzare to me. There are thousands of pro touring cars running 19'' and 20'' wheels and many of them have installed bolt-in rear 4 link kits, which means they haven't altered the arch of their frame rails. Those cars are prowling the streets with lowered ride heights as I have mocked up on my car. I have 1'' clearance from the top of the rear axle housing to the rubber bump stop. Unless I am dealing with faulty eye sight or something far bigger than my brain can fathom... those guys must be bangin' their frames and rear ends together after filling their gas tanks, and bellies with lunch in some cases!

Can anyone explain this strange phenomenon to me before I break out the plasma cutter or perhaps lose my mind?!

A lot of these guys are like the one Stanton encountered. They chose that wheel and tire/suspension combo strictly on the basis of how "cool" they think they look with it and IF they are even aware of the ramifications of 1" suspension travel (or anything else), it is just an accepted cost to look "cool".

IMHO, the only way to get that "cool" look and still have something more useful than static sculpture, is to go with a Ridetech air system.

http://www.ridetech.com/store/musclecars/?subcats=Y&features_hash=V298.V328

I've seen this system in action on an autocross track in their 66 Chevelle and I was astonished to put it mildly.

When it's time to look cool, just push the Cool Button and it's in the weeds.

Kevin