Originally Posted By jcc
I have at last count approx 78? semi tires on our fleet. We have replaced approx 24? in the past 12? years, only one was worn out. We don't put a lot of miles on them. I believe the worst thing a tire can suffer beyond overloading, underinflation and/or two high of operating speed is, lack of use. I think the solution is, use allows and promotes the natural oils in the tire to migrate to the surface, replacing what evaporates and the sun extracts, albeit, very slowly, but occurring none the less. Lack of tire flexing causes the tires natural oils to be non uniform thru the sidewall cross section, leading to cracking, separation, seepage of water, promoting steel reinforcement webbing to rust, then expand, causing more separation, etc Just my opinion.

Bingo! What I was thinking. Both of my trailers are stored inside, no sun lite. I always keep the tires properly inflated, never run them over 60 mph, replace them every four years and still have failures. Why I was thinking setting idle for long periods is part of the problem.