Originally Posted By Leigh
Originally Posted By EchoSixMike
Meh, you can bring spare tires, what about all the people who lose wheel bearings? How many trailers do you see on the side of the hwy with a bare axle flange up on a jack? S/F....Ken M

I have a pair of pre-packed bearings and seal, in my trailer. Gregsdart has the real deal idea, a COMPLETE drum assembly ready to slide on.

I personally have never had any problems with wheel bearings, not since I owned a boat and boat trailer.

All the bearings are original on my trailer and I grease them when I replace the brakes, by hand. I do not use the "bearing buddys" to much risk of killing your brakes.

I replaced the backing plates with magnet and shoes and springs with new drums just a little over 2 years ago for the second time since 2007.

I checked them and adjusted them a few weeks ago before this last big trip. They were over half wore out at 38K miles. They sure worked better this past trip after being adjusted but will need to be replaced before the end of the year after 2.5 years of use.

I really burned them up in Az and Utah on those long azz down hills, even with a 2 stage jake brake on the truck. I can go up and down the rocky mountains on I 70 with no brakes coming down, just a jake brake, but I could not stay off the brakes on those long down hills on the back roads out there, very tough on equipment.