OK, looks like I have enough clearance now, it's at .008".

I went through the checks mentioned previously; I took the #3 cap off, re-tested and still had .002". The all the caps came off, tested again and still the same so clearly it was the bearing.

So I went and did the sanding procedure - I rubbed the thrust bearing surface on some wet, 320 grit sandpaper. The flattest surface I could find was my drill press base so I set it down on there and went to town.

Once I started, I checked the outer width of the bearing with a dial caliper to gauge how much material I took off but I couldn't get consistent readings. (prolly my cheap-o digital dial caliper)

Anyway, after several rounds of sanding/cleaning/sanding I put the crank back in without the caps to see where it was at and I got .008". Obviously I have to check it again when everything is torqued down but clearly it's within the correct range now. Even if I lose 1-.002" I should still be within acceptable margins.

Bob, the studs are just finger tight before I put the caps on. They have an allen key slot at the top to ease with installation. Once they are down I just give them a little snug to make sure they are all evenly seated. That's it, no real force.

Thanks for all the help. Will report back later when the caps are torqued down.

'71 Duster
'72 Challenger
'17 Ram 1500