I just put the crank in my 416 and checked endplay - I have .002". I know factory spec is .002" -.007" but clearly I need some more. I have the dial indicator set up perpendicular to the crank snout on a magnetic base and I pried on the crank throws with a long screwdriver. I pried at a few different points front to back.

Next, I smacked the crank back and forth with a dead blow several times to try and seat it but it's still the same .002".

So looks like the crank needs to come out. Then what? What is the best procedure here? I read in the small block stroker engines book that you take the crank out and run the thrust bearing ends across some emery paper to get some more clearance. OK to do it this way?

It actually looks like this may have already been done by the machine shop before I got it back; they align bored it. He didn't say what the thrust clearance was and I forgot to ask but it must have been close to what I am getting.

So can I go with the procedure that's in the book? Not drilling the caps or anything like that.

Thanks,

Greg

'71 Duster
'72 Challenger
'17 Ram 1500