Quote:

Quote:

As for removing emmisions equipment to make it run better, wrong. Most have no net effect on power, some have a benefit if you use it. Granted, back in the day cats were restrictive, but they no longer are. Egr keeps ping under control allowing more dynamic compression for more power.

as for the argument of why "guys" don't run EGR if it makes more power, heck look at this thread and you'll see the answer, lack of knowlege about what it does and how to take advantage of it.

Show me one 70's mopar that's running SOOOOO much compression that it needs EGR to keep ping under control. You won't find one because by the time EGR came into effect, compression ratios were non-existant anyway.

Quote:

Ahh.....EGR does lower comb. temps which do indeed lower NOX emissions. However it also allows one to add more timing before spark knock(ping) occurs,which is a major contributor to Nox emissions! More spark lead more power,better fuel economy!!!Plain and simple!!
There is a lot of misconception around EGR systems,I see it on forums all the time.Just like I see about PCV systems!! I'm not saying it is needed,but a properly functioning system will not hurt engine performance! By the way, I'm an ASE certified tech(including L1,advanced drivability)and an Auto Instructor at a tech college.

Why would you bump up ignition timing while running EGR? All that's going to do is bring comb temps back up. EGR brings em down, extra timing brings them back up. Give here, take there, net result is no change. I don't for a second believe that at a given compression ratio that you will see real-world MPG increases by running EGR with extra ignition timing versus just running no EGR and getting a cleaner burn with a little less timing. EGR does not affect full throttle performance because the OEM knew well enough to turn the EGR off once you nailed the throttle.

You do understand with early(vac)EGR the reason they were inop at WOT was because of lack of vac. at WOT! You also understand with early timing controls(vac advance) that timing also retards at WOT for the very same reason ,right?