I think I have it figured out but wanted a few more opinions. Truck is an '89 D150 with 318 and TBI. The problem is that the truck will randomly die. No sputtering or stalling, motor just completely dies. That made me rule out fuel starvation but I didnt verify with a fuel pressure guage. Funny thing is I will still have electrical power everywhere, radio, dash, headlights, etc... its starting to happen more often and take longer to restart. Sometimes it will restart right away, sometimes it will take 15 minutes or so. Also, when this happens, it will crank and crank, but not fire. Ive also noticed that sometimes as im coasting to a stop, power will randomly kick back in, just like someone flicked a switch, and I can drive again. Wierd.

So this time when it happened, I popped a wire off of a plug and cranked the engine. NO SPARK! Eureka. Plugs, wires, rotor, copper cap, coil, all new. So im thinking dizzy is bad, maybe the pickup coil. So I order a new one for my truck, $130 since it doesnt have vac advance. Really wish I could have gotten the cheaper one with vac advance that was only $39 but thats another discussion. So I think I have it nailed down to the dizzy. But when I got home I thought about it and realized that I forgot to check for fire at the wire coming off the coil to verify that spark was being lost at the dizzy. Its too late now as Im at home and the truck is at work, so I'll just have to report back after the dizzy comes in tomorrow.

So what do you guys think? Am I on the right track. Do you think I should be looking at something else.

Thanks
roe

Last edited by roe; 04/17/15 08:55 PM.

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG