i finally found a new bus to replace my rotted out 2000 caravan. this thing was super cheap, and came from arazona so the body is totally rust free ! the reason it was cheap is the fact the differential pin come loose, broke in two, and spit the spider gears out of the case cover and created a small hole in the upper case. when this happened, the elderly lady owner was slowing for a stop. she said it made a strange noise [ eek], then when she went to go, it wouldn't. anyway, i got it home yesterday and up in the air. the ring gear and axle side gears look ok, as well as the case holes that the "death pin" resides in. i didn't look close at the split pin retainer hole tho. what are the chances of replacing the missing pieces and repairing the case with the trans in the bus ? then have it work again ? what makes this happen in the first place ? i know the obvious correct repair would be to replace the whole transmission. what years interchange ? what could be the electrical differences between 1995 and 2000 be ? this may seem like a "hack" repair, but back in the mid to late 60's, we did stuff like this quite frequently on open diffs of all makes because we liked to have lots of "fun" roastin' the weenies, and we broke lots of parts. those types of repairs lasted a long time from my feeble old mind, so why couldn't it be done on this deal ? sorry for the long ramble, but "inquiring minds want to know " thanks in advance !
beer