Quote:

those check valves always had some issues. the edelbrock carbs don't use them. you can try taking it out and cleaning it real good and perhaps "staking" the ball to re-seat it. worst case scenario just stake a piece of lead shot in it to block it off. spitting thru the carb is a sign of a lean condition or late timing. i always down size squirters for drivers. this can be done with the edelbrock squirters and a slight modification. the leather accelerator pumps are trouble some. the plastic/viton pumps work much better.

Thank you Lew

What do the Edelbrock carbs use in place of the intake check ball? Do they just plug the hole?

You are on to something I think. That assembly may be bleeding off a necessary portion of the pump shot causing a lean backfire.

Base timing is 10 degrees BTDC with the vacuum advance disconnected. I not get a chance to see if it was advancing properly.

I did some research that lead me using the leather plunger. I am wondering if that was not a good choice too. Will put a Viton plunger on the list of things to try.

Thanks again

Dan