Quote:

Are you thinking the pump shot is inconsistant cuz of the occaisional backfire or cuz some of the shot went backwards everytime you pushed it during assembly? Yes the ball should be sealing it but I'm wondering if there is something else going on but for starters you might pull the throttle 10 times & see if you get 10 good shots & if they're healthy enough maybe the backflow is inconsequential and I'd put 2 pieces of clean rags in the venturis to catch the fuel as you dont want to wash down the rings. For the backflow You could pull the top & the plunger & ball & blast the hole that the ball sets in & check the ball for imperfections if you are not getting a healthy/adequate shot every time. All OE AVS's are lean but I'm thinking something (vac leak) other than the AP. Yes a common ball bearing of the right size will work. holler back.

Thanks Robert:

1) I watched the pump shot after we got the backfire. It would just spit and spurt out. Definitely did not look right. Car ran great for a few minutes after rebuild until it got warm then backfired. (Don't know if this is just a coincidence though.)

2) I am assuming the pump shot was adequate on occasion because sometimes the backfire happened, sometimes it did not. I am assuming that the times it did not backfire the pump shot was good. Maybe not a good assumption???

3) Would not backfire when applying the throttle in park or neutral. Only under load.

4)I did pull the "intake check ball" out and cleaned it during the rebuild. (This is the thing that looks like a jet at the base of the accelerator pump well and unscrews like a jet. I am referring to it by its proper, somewhat misleading FSM name, as it is definitely not just a ball.)

Dan