Quote:

Seems to me that a tiny bit of engineering is in order.

If the rear axle is used as the fulcrum, the weight of the front of the car is going to be some fraction of the total car weight, maybe several hundred lbs, especially if the fenders and hood are on the car.

But if you simply move the fulcrum to the forward spring brackets, the front of the car will weigh much less. And if you move the fulcrum a few more inches forward, the front of the car will weigh zero or less than zero, meaning the car will actually tilt backwards.

When I can lift the front of the car with my own muscles and without too much effort, I figure the fulcrum is in the right place for a safe lift with an engine crane or whatever.

Looks solid on paper but... the farther forward you move the fulcrum (jack stands) the higher you need to jack the car up so the gas tank and bumper don't hit the ground. That increase the angle the frame sits on the jack stands raising the risk of the jack stands walking or completely kicking out. Essentially, you're introducing a side load onto the jack stands. Using the axle as a pivot point introduces no such load as the weight is carried through the CL of the jack stands.

This is a simple process. There is no need to over-engineer or introduce risk into the equation. As mentioned, a couple hundred pounds of weight in the trunk works wonders for over all counter balance, although I've never used CW myself.