Quote:

Quote:

I love having my battery in the trunk. It was a piece of cake to do in my opinion. And some 63 Max Wedge cars had their batteries in the trunk. I used a Marine case which is legal as long as you bolt the battery down inside the box. I like doing electrical work so I enjoyed installing mine in the trunk. I did not want to drill a hole in my car so I drilled a hole in my tailite lens and ran the rod to the cutoff switch through the taillite lens that way if I ever put it back up front all I have to do is replace the lens and I have an extra lens. I knew I was going to race sometimes so I went and put the cutoff switch in when I put the battery back there. Ron

It depends how it is done. When you start adding relays there are more wires to run. MAD Electrical's approach adds a relay that disconnects the 1/0 gauge wire run from the battery to the starter when you are not cranking the engine. That way that run is dead unless you are trying to start the car. That means you need to run an additional wire to the battery from the alternator to charge the battery. To activate the relay when you turn the key, another wire is needed to send the signal to the relay.

Next, does the battery disconnect simply open the 1/0 gauge run to the starter? Or does it shut-off the car? When you switch the battery disconnect switch to the 'off' setting, does the car keep running? Disconnecting the electrical system from the battery while the car is running is a very bad thing to do. I'm sure you know that, but my bro's car didn't shutoff when the disconnect switch was thrown. So you say its easy, but someone messed it up with his car!

Well as I stated I love doing electrical work so yes it was very easy for me. Of course you have to run additional wires and you have to make sure your alt output is run back to the battery side of the cutout switch or it will not kill the eng when you hit the switch. Myself I use a seperate Ford type starter solenoid in the trunk so that the battery cable to my starter is only hot while cranking and then I run another wire from the wire harness side of the cutout switch up to my factory starter relay where the car picks up its hot all the time wire and thats the wire that has to go through the cutoff switch. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 02/28/15 01:43 AM.