So, in the future I was thinking about getting a Jeep of some sort to go off-roading and serve as a potential back-up vehicle (so off-roading won't be its primary function). I guess it's to rekindle the fun I had back in my Baja days. From what I've heard, there are a lot of cool places around the SoCal area and I have some friends who go often. Anyways, I'm going to need another hobby after I graduate. So, these are the vehicles I had in mind and I was wondering if I could get your thoughts on them: 2000-2006 Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Cherokee (XJ), 1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ). All models I'd get would have to have 4x4 capabilities.

So here are my thoughts on the 3...

The Jeep Wrangler is widely known as the car for off-roading, it has a removeable top so I could drive a "convertible" during the summer time when I'm not driving my daily or the Dart, and there's a huge aftermarket for them. The cons I don't like about it is that there isn't much room to put people and supplies, it's probably not the most comfortable on the street, and they're expensive (high cost of entry relative to the other two for a 4.0L).

The Cherokee also seems quite popular for off-roading. It is a little cheaper to get into than the Wrangler. It can seat up to 4 people (I don't know how comfortably). It still has a large aftermarket support. I can throw things in the trunk. And it has a towing capacity of about 5000 lbs (helpful if I buy a trailer so I can tow parts or possibly a car). I think this could be a good compromise between the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee.

I'm also quite liking the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Looking on CL, it seems like it's the cheapest between the 3 options. It doesn't seem like there's as much aftermarket parts for it but it definitely seems like it could be a good platform for off-roading. It also comes with a 5.2L small block (or a 5.9L but very rare and only a 1998) that gets at least 30-40 more hp and 75 ft-lbs of torque over the 4.0L. Gas mileage is about the same as the 4.0L too. Again, this can store things in the trunk and it can tow up to 6500 lbs (definitely a safe load to tow a car or parts). The only thing about this is I believe they switched from a 46RH trans to a 44RE transmission in 1995. If I did my research correctly, that would imply the the 44RE is a weaker trans but uses electronics instead of hydraulics for shifting? A 46RE came behind the '98 Limited 5.9L though.

So, what are your thoughts or opinions? Personally, all of my daily drivers have been a car (as I drive around a lot) but I always enjoyed driving my mom's SUV (both on the streets or on the very few times I took it to the dessert).