Quote:

Thanks, Kevin, for restating my post in a perhaps more understandable way.

Some things are facts, not open to having a differing opinion. So to that crowd, feel free to have a differing opinion, but I will know that you are wrong.

Race car parts are usually taken out long before they would need to be, in order to eliminate DNFs. But here's the deal: A properly-designed race car part will have a very low factor of safety, meaning it is as light as they can get away with. So the factor of safety in the design is probably much smaller than the factor of safety in a 318 rod, for example. As a matter of fact, one could design a rod to fail at a given load, after so many cycles, that number being the number of cycles in a typical race plus any qualifying. This would be the lightest possible rod. That would also be a rod that got thrown away after that one race.

Now where this intersects with me is this: If I keep the rod's stresses below the stress limit, I can use this rod indefinitely. And as I don't run my engines at 9000 rpm, 6000 being a more likely number, as long as I don't go crazy with piston weight or stroke length the rods will be OK. I could figure this out and when I get closer to building an engine using some of these used NASCAAR parts, I probably will just to see what's a safe redline for my combination.

I am still looking for a definitive answer to the question about low intensity cyclic loading for aluminum.

R.

How many run aluminum (a truely crap material for a rocker BTW) rocker arms and never blink an eye?
The biggest killer of aluminum rods is the guy who likes to fire his junk up in the trailer, whip the throttle 5-6 times, back it out and pull to the burn out box. I think a good aluminum rod can live on the street.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston