If he is talking about late '90s to 2000s, then he is talking about a TJ to begin with. I ran a 3" Tera (S3T) back in the day, and thought it handled well. A good complete lift will include a t-case drop, as well as everything else you will need, including shocks, swaybay links and steering correction. If you are going to wheel it at all, I would suggest a heavy duty slip yoke eliminator (SYE) and double cardan driveshaft. At that point you can lift the t-case, and put a flat belly skid on it (with a 1 1/4" body lift {I make my own out of aluminum bar stock} and a motor mount lift)

No wiring needed for the speedometer- it takes a standard MoPar speedometer pinion, just like my old Challenger R/T did. Just figure out the difference in tire size, and pick a pinion to match.

BTW, stay away from the 4 cylinders if you are going to drive it on the street with anything bigger than stock tires.

Bonus Pro Tip- A B-Body 8 3/4 makes a great rear end swap if you are running a D35, and will hold up to 35x14 Boggers or Q78 Swampers very well with a locker (even 38.5x11.00s if you're careful)