I need a bit of education here on the steering differences between the early and late 72-93 trucks. I have a 73 W200 that has the original reverse rotation steering gearbox that mounts to the 90 degree adapter with a linkage going to the steering arm on the axle. The existing axle is the original drum brake 8-lug D44 and there is a 4 inch steering lift block on the axle.

From my understanding the reverse rotation steering only lasted until sometime in the mid 70's.

I also have a front Dana 60 axle from a 1989 or 1990 W-350 which I would like to swap into the truck for the added durability but also for the much better brakes. If I understand it correctly the Dana 60 should be set up for the normal late style frame mounted steering gearbox.

The truck is lifted about 5 inches on 35 inch tires.

Can I keep the original reverse rotation steering and just add a steering lift block to the D60? If so, would I be able to use the existing steering arm, or would that be wrong for the reverse rotation?

Or would I be better off switching to the later style box and using crossover steering and getting rid of lift blocks altogether? If I switch to the later style of steering does it use the holes that are already in the frame for the 90' bracket? I'd probably use a kit like the one from
ORD .

Either way I go I need a new steering gearbox as the current one is really loose and needs a rebuild.

Any advice is appreciated!

-Jon

70 challenger convertible. 340/5 speed. blown, intercooled, efi, blah blah blah 71 valiant scamp 318/A833OD/AC/PS 00 dakota RC 4.7L 5 spd autoX'r. SRT10/T56 swap in process 73 W200 Power wagon, PTO winch, 4 spd