Quote:

For what it's worth this is my 2 cents. A wise man said if you have too much bearing clearance you alone will know. If you don't have enough , everyone will know. As long as bearings are available or clearance isn't out of this world, it should work fine.Same with rings. 4.5035" file fit in your bore may work a blower motor wants a big gap anyway. I doubt it will know the difference. The biggest issue here is you are questioning your engine builder. You both need to be on the same page. If you don't trust what he's telling you asking on line is a crap shoot. Lots of knowledge, lots of misinformation, just need to know how to sift through it.
Doug

I do trust this guy and we have a great working relationship, which is why my junk is in his shop. He says the crank needs turning which puts me in a spot. He is not a big machine shop. I do not know of a shop in this area (N Alabama) that I could trust to do the job right. LOL, he has mentioned Ohio Crankshaft but with the upcoming football game between OSU and Bama maybe not the best idea to send it up there . The cutting off of the nitride is also a concern to me but maybe that is false worry. I will find out what the actual numbers are and look at the old bearing shells. The darn thing may need straightening, I know a bunch of the balance holes are gonna need to be filled as I go from alum BME rods to steel Callies (and longer also) and there are a bunch of them holes.

Total Seal is suggesting 4.535 gapless top and second rings, 0.043 wide.