I've been kicking around what to do with a couple of my rigs lately. I've got an itch to build a motor (haven't done one is at least 20 years), and I've been thinking about stroker motors. Mainly because both rigs I'm working with need to be able to pull a decent load when asked, but still be good for average daily driving. I have both a 360 and a 440 to do this with, so we can discuss the attributes of either or both, preferably both. To help refine the discussion, let's begin with my first project. My 1972 International TravelAll 4x4.

I simply love this truck! It so well suits me and what I need for our family's needs. I like driving it daily, and eventually I hope it to be the wife's kid hauler. So, 95% of the time, this truck will just be a pavement pounder. The IH 345 runs great, but is really limited when it comes to upgrades. I want it to be my family outing rig. Hook onto a travel trailer and take the family (of 6) camping. Set up camp then lock the hubs and go adventuring up high in the back country. So I feel that keeping things mild is best. It has to manage some realistic milage numbers, and be able to handle loafing along on the dusty trail without extra attention.

I'm leaning towards the 408 and a 46RH trans, with a converted GM TBI set-up for fuel. Should give the torque I need for good towing, but not break the bank when putting around town or hauling the kids around for my wife. I know that the big block will also do that, but I'm concerned about the fuel economy. Can the O/D trans and the TBI really do enough to make this thing affordable to drive? I remember back in the day, we used to talk volumetric efficiency a lot. Is this still the case? What about going to the Gen III motors? I'm not opposed to that, but it would be a bit of a learning curve. I can go any direction at this point, I just want to make my decision wisely.

What say you? Thanks everyone!!!!!

25 Dodge Roadster
66 D100 440/727 (on 72 D100 chassis)
67 W200 360/727
72 IH TravelAll 1110 4x4 345/727/NP205
76 Scout 2 360/727/D20
'08 Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4wd 4.7L