Ok, a bit of progress, but mainly more questions. My findings thus far:

1. The fuse which caused the test light to go out is the "Dome & Stop" fuse, left side, second from bottom in the pic below.
2. The Dome & Stop fuse should be 20A, but there is currently a 30A fuse there.
3. I accidentally broke the "Instr & LPS" fuse (top right) getting it out. It is supposed to be 5A, but it was also a 30A fuse.
4. I'm sure Ma Mopar could have made the fuse block more difficult to reach if they'd really tried, but I think they did a pretty darn good job of it as it is.

Oddly, when I connect the main circuit (the one under the hood, which should be a fusible link), neither my dome light nor my brake lights are on unless they are specifically activated by the door switch or by hitting the brakes. Therefore, I'm guessing there must be something else tied into this circuit(?). Back in the old days, my '69 Roadrunner would blow this fuse when someone was sitting in the back seat and I hit the brakes. That was found to be caused by the brake wire sitting between the seat frame and the body, and shorting out when someone sat back there. I will check that first.

I also need to check the amperage of all the other fuses in the block. Since I now know there are at least two which are way stronger than they should be, I'm probably lucky there hasn't been a meltdown of my wiring harness yet. Needless to say, the car will be parked until I can sort this out.

I remain open to suggestions. Thanks!

Roger