Quote:

It was a surprisingly simple question that seemed to ignite the debate in the other thread...As many of us on here do, I race on a budget.

If you look at the Gen3 Hemi builds...all those are with the stock block at +700hp. I have seen the new aluminum blocks for sale, but have yet to see any builds with them. And honestly, I would switch to one if they weren't so costly. A stroker kit at $2700 is pretty steep, and at only 392 to 426 cubes, it just doesn't make sense yet...

It would be great if everyone could afford a new $5k block...But the way I look at it, on a good running race engine, eventually something fails...What's really left of it when it does. On the last 5-6 failures I have seen, the block never survives, nor the cam, rods or pistons... And if you sell the race car, its worth pennies on the dollar and everyone low balls you on it.

You can't compare 60s technology to modern technology, so the comparison of a modern HEMI block to a 60 year designed RB block is a moot point. The main webs are weak in B and RB factory blocks and that will NOT change. And while it is true that catastrophic engine failure results in junk parts, the chances of main web failure in the aftermarket block being the root cause is pretty slim.............but if YOU are comfortable building 500+ in high HP motors in stock blocks......."crack on" with it, but don't expect many to think it is a good idea. All the talk of limiting rpms, limiting bobweights, girdles, caps, keeping the detonation down, etc, etc, etc, are all GOOD ideas.....NONE of which address the inherent problem though........weak in the webs. As I stated before, myself and several others here have done the same in the past.......but now, power is MUCH easier to make, we know better and good parts are available, so why risk it. I understand budget, but the old adage of doing it right the first time usually ends up being the cheapest route in the long term.

Lets say you do a good job at keeping an eye on things and do catch a cracked block before it destroys the motor. How many stock blocks, money wise, does it take to bore, hone, align hone, square deck, etc, before you could have bought a good block to start with

Monte