Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think a car with 80% original paint is much more interesting than just another repainted queen, as long as it doesn't look like it's neglected of course. You can always change your mind later with this option, with the other option it's over for good.

Sheldon

That's exactly how I feel.

Me too. If it can be spot repaired and retain 80% original paint and look good, then that's definitely what I'd do.....if the original paint was too far gone, then that's another story.

Dave

Same thought here as well. I'd bet it will see more run-time with the original paint "touched up" than with a full respray.
Shouldnt be too difficult to find a paint supplier that can mix a very good match.
Plus you'll save a wad of cash!

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I hear you on the wad of cash, one local shop near here quoted me $10K for bodywork and "show quality" paint. No doubt they could deliver based on their reputation, but the owner seemed to base his price on what he thought my car would be worth when it was done rather than time & materials it took to do the job. Naturally I passed. As far as being disappointed in the way it looks, I've been looking at the primer spots & dings since 1975, so if the repairs weren't perfect, I wouldn't be overly disappointed. I agree with RUNCHARGER in that if it doesn't turn out, I can still do the full repaint later.

Meanwhile a "stock appearing" 383/451 is at the machine shop so I won't have to worry about hurting the factory motor. Driving it is definitely still part of the plan!

8272485-100_3144.JPG (41 downloads)

'68 Bee 383/TF/Factory Air...high school sweetheart
'67 GTX Clone project,500 six pack,Hemi4-speed,Dana
05 Dodge Viper, 505 V-10, 6-speed Tremec