Quote:

Quote:

I measured the total timing which is 36 degrees...so 20 degree advance (16 initial). Do you have a part number and a recommendation as to what springs I need to use to back this down to maybe a 16-18 degree advance? This is the standard MP distributor. Thanks!

springs will not change the total only the RPM that the 36 total occurs. A heavier spring or springs makes the 20 deg slope to occur (start/end) at a higher RPM at any point in the slope (& less advance=less pinging). (1) see (& post) what springs are in there now (2) with your dialback & tach note the RPM that the adv stop advancing (that's when the slots are maxed). Here's a chart for a start tho the crane springs mentioned are no longer available but Ace hardware springs work just need to experiment with a slightly heavier one till you get just under the pinging point at WOT up thru the gears & the slope is linear whether you change one or both springs

The advance doesn't stop until the engine is in the 2500 RPM range from what I saw. Wouldn't it be better to shorten the slots to just limit the timing advance?

I am not proficient with a welder so doesn't somebody make a plate that does this? I seem to remember somebody had a plate with various slots to limit the advance to 18/16/etc increments. EDIT: This is what I am talking about.

Any ideas? Does it work?

Last edited by cjskotni; 03/08/15 12:22 PM.