This is a very informative thread, and it explains an ignition/starter issue that I've been dealing with for years. I switched to an electronic fuel injection setup on my Cuda years ago, and the engine does not start with the ignition key. When I crank the ignition with the key, the starter engages, but the engine won't fire.

This is because when the key is turned to the on position (IGN 1), 12 V goes to the computer system, MSD ignition and fuel pump. But, when the key is in the start position for the starter to engage, voltage drops to the computer, MSD ignition and fuel pump, thus preventing the engine from starting.

To solve the problem, I installed an ignition button that runs directly to the starter relay. But, I prefer to wire everything to start with the ignition key.

If I am not running a ballast resistor, can I join the (IGN 1) and (IGN 2) wires together so that I'm getting a constant 12 V to the computer, MSD ignition and fuel pump while the starter is engaging?

Any input or suggestions are highly appreciated. This issue has been bugging me for years, and I just want my car to start with the ignition key like all other vehicles.

Last edited by 1974Cuda360; 09/03/14 01:35 PM.