Quote:

I've trying to read as much as I can on this. I'm afraid I have a cup&cone type sure-grip. I've already sealed up into the housing under the car. I have green bearings on the axles with old style flange crimped onto the bearing (mid 1990's). I'm not getting it to seat all the way against the backing plate. Probably about 1/8", maybe a little less. I tried to pull out what looks like the buttons, they only move in and out about a 1/4". I tried to spin them but they don't. I can see light from the other side of the axle around a portion of the top of what looks like a button. Is this still what is called a block and is not removable unless I disassemble the SG? Would bad things happen if I add a 1/8" spacer between the backing plate and the axle flange? Any insight would help, thanks!

You have the worst type of sure grip ... I don't care what anybody says or thinks about them ... and the worst type of Green bearing. Good luck . The easist thing to do would be the trim the end of the axles.

Are you sure it's a cone type because you should not be able to see thru it at all with the axles out and it shouldn't have something that looks like buttons in there?