Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Stu IIRC you have a 489 case.Unless you replace the crush sleeve it might eat another bearing.Thats why the sell an eliminator for it.You can set up the old one but its a pain.Removing the yoke you have to get the crush sleeve almost perfect to where it was.Rocky

Rocky -

Tell me about the crush sleeve eliminator. I need to do a pinion seal on my 489 and have been putting it off because of the crush sleeve.

A crush sleeve is a one time use collapsible spacer that helps set the pinion bearings preload.
Once you disassemble it for a new anything, a new one must be used to achieve proper preload for the pinion bearings.

A solid pinion preload spacer can be used and is better, but it must be custom installed and turned down to the exact length needed for proper pre-load.
This all needs to be done/setup with custom milled/turned pinion bearings that have oversize IDs so they slip on and off the pinion to determine pinion pre load spacer thickness. Can't use pressed fit bearing races on the pinion until you can/determine find proper pre load thickness. I have done it several times. So using and installing one(solid spacer,crush sleeve eliminator, etc) is not easy to install.

For a stock rebuild I'd use a fresh crush sleeve.

So if a guy just needed to replace a leaking pinion seal on a 489 and wanted to keep it simple, what would you recommend?