Quote:

I have my thoughts on the subject and the cost of everything has gone up, way up. I remember back when I first started driving my Roadrunner I could race Thursday - Sunday, tow to 3 different tracks and spend less than 300 bucks. (Granted I slept in the truck.) Point is entry fees were around $35-$40 payouts were anywhere from $500-$1000 to win with round money. The change came in the cost of diesel. I still have receipts where I was paying 1.19 a gallon for diesel. Now at $4.29+ per gallon (nearly a 4x increase) my 4 day trips would now cost 1200 bucks and only about 40-50 bucks is an increase in entry fee.

With that said I too look at the purse before I travel. However I dont look at the top number I look at everything below it. RU/SEMI and RD Money. I would rather go to a race that pays a little less at the top but has good round money. I go to the events with the intention of winning and taking home that big check but bringing in 100-400 bucks for a good showing is nice. It softens the blow of the high gas prices.

I see a lot of "Big Money" races that pay $2500 W $500 RU $100 SEMI $25 to the quarters. I have raced in these and lost late in the rounds 4th or 5th round and get the big goose egg. I would rather have the payout that goes back further and nets me $50-$100 for my 5th RD loss.

Just my on the subject.

I agree. I race because it's fun, but if I can win something....it's found money whether it's $50 (I won $50 recently for a 4th round loss) or winning the final which I've only ever done once (got paid $150).