Quote:

I am rebuilding my 833 with a basic rebuild kit and a new set of blocking rings. Overall the trans looks good so I am re-using my gears and input shaft. All is going well until I just installed the assembled mainshaft, input shaft and countershaft in the case and installed the front bearing. Before going further I shifted it into all gears and spun the input shaft several rotations in each gear. What I noticed is that in some gears, it seemed to spin fine in either direction, but felt like it was binding up when I stopped spinning one way and then started spinning the other. Upon further testing, what I found is that if the mainshaft is rotating independently from the input shaft (like in neutral), the trans feels like it's binding when I switch the direction of rotation.

My question is this: since I put a new set of roller needles into the input shaft, do those take a little while to take a "set"? I think that the rollers are having a hard time aligning themselves when transitioning from one rotation direction to the other. I know I put the correct quantity in and I double checked that I installed the retaining ring. I just don't know if it's normal for the new parts to be "tight" or if I may actually have a problem.

Well here's the first thing I notice ... spinning it in one direction then the opposite ??? huh ???

You do realize the trans only ever spins in one direction because the engine only spins in one direction when it is running .

(unless the engine backfires and then it might go in the opposite direction for a split second at best ) I put that there because I know that some donkey was going to post it ...

The bearings in the input shaft don't need to take a set and you did get them all in correct ? It should be full and the last one will go in with a snap depending on how you load them.