Quote:

a $50-$100 magnum intake for a carb where can they be found? how do we get the fuel to the carb on the cheap with a magnum on this truck? these "little" things add up.
the thread says "cheap 318 build" and as per moparts protocol we have the usual build a 360 or go magnum suggestions, soon it will be build hemi. we have ventured way off course here.

lifted85 if you want to swap heads, pull a set of 302 heads from an 85 up to 91 (premagnum) 318 car/truck/van in a junk yard. get a valve lapping tool(suction cup, very cheap), some valve lapping compound(also cheap) and lap the valves. there are videos on how to do this on youtube. its easy. put some 901 springs on using the stock retainers/keepers. call it done. another cheap upgrade, replace the heavy advance spring in the distributer with a light one(think ball point pen thickness) take the heavy spring to a hardware store and match up the length(cost is probably less than a dollar)

Any 318/340/360 four barrel intake will work if the Magnum mounting holes are redrilled and tapped to accept the manifold. I am running a 5.2L magnum I picked up for 50 bucks. On top of it is a Edelbrock 340 intake I paid $100 from a fellow Mopar guy. On it is an Edelbrock 1406 I paid $75 for on Ebay (New in box). $60 Holley electric fuel pump but you can put an eccentric on the front of the magnum to run a mechanical on an LA timing cover. I am running Engine Quest Magnum heads that were ordered with the LA holes tapped into it so I skipped that step but there are many threads on here on how to tap them yourself. Another 125 for a Beauchillon Engineering throttle cable and plate for the torqueflite and gas pedal and that was it. I believe I have less in it than the OP has already spent. The only high ticket item was for the heads. I had already ordered them for the my original 318 but when the magnum engine popped up, I changed direction in a New York minute.
Advantages: roller cam so no zinc in oil worries, higher compression ratio (62cc magnum chambers), better breathing in and out, looks just like a 318 and it has more horsepower than the 318 it replaced.
Craig

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie, 73 Cuda
Previous mopars: 62 Valiant, 65 Fury III, 68 Fury III, 72 Satellite, 74 Satellite, 89 Acclaim, 98 Caravan, 2003 Durango
Only previous Non-Mopar: Schwinn Tornado