Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Do a leak-down test.

or compression test. Gotta start somewhere and a good place is always the mechanicals. Another good place to start is with a vacuum gauge. www.secondchancegarage.com has a great how to use / read a vacuum gauge section.

To answer a few questions.

Water in fuel - I don't think so. I always run the piss they call 91 octane out west here. But when I started to have this issue I put 10 gallons of 100 octane no lead with no change. I also added a can of Sea Foam. So probably unlikely, but I could pump the tank empty and put fresh fuel in.

Timing chain slop - I'm sure there is some as I didn't put a tensioner on it, but I used a Cloyes roller chain. I was thinking this might be why it was so out of phase. Hard to say, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of slop when turned by hand a few degrees each direction.

Coil - easy change. Might be able to borrow one to try.

Leak down/compression check- I don't have the tools for a leak down test, but I do have a compression gauge. That would be pretty easy and not a bad test to at least start with.

I think I will still pull the valve covers and change the pickup coil since I have a new one in the garage.

If anyone else has ideas I'm all ears!

Go ahead and change the PU coil but normally thats
a temp thing... it'll be working then quit then when
it cools it'll work again..but try it