Started my 78 core support swap into the '85 today. This project is about 8 years over due. I just hope it doesn't turn into a complete disaster, so here goes.

Old front, say good bye.

Grill off, bumper and filler off--notice the severe rust on the bottom of the support that is common. This was another reason I wanted to do the swap:

Old core support out. This was no easy feat with having the fenders still on.

Add the '78 style core support brackets. I used 7/16 bolts. Only interference was the top front bolt on both sides running into the edge of the front crossmember. A little time with the die grinder made a little more room for the end of the bolt--I only needed 1/4 more room. The alternative was to cut and shorten the bolt.

Nudder shot

New support just set in place

Headlights added--got a little ahead of myself

At this point, I see I am going to have to try and unbolt the rear of the fenders. They seem to be in a bind at the front with the core support--pressing very hard down on the support and not allowing me to adjust things right. I am sure the new bushings under the support aren't helping matters either though.

Good news is all the bolt holes on the front edge of the fender line up with the welded nuts on the older support. The goal here is to not have to mod the fenders. I can live with the ever so slight mismatch of the grill and top corner of the fenders as is--it really isn't that bad IMO.

To be continued....

Outcast Dodge guy.