OK guys, im kinda lost on this one.

I have recently had an 8-3/4 installed in my Dakota. And I am at 75 miles since the install, and it was finally warm enough to roll down the windows.

I noticed a "squeak, squeak, squeak" noise coming from the rear of the truck when turning.

So I pulled into a parking lot and did some slow tight figure 8's, and the sound is coming from each wheel area (the squeak seems to be coming from the inside radius wheel).

I rolled into the shop and they double checked all clearances, and made sure u bolts were tight, even tore things down and removed the brakes for a quick inspection of the new parts in there as well. Nothing looked out of place, or seemed to show any signs of trouble.

They reinstalled and we ran it on the lift, no noises, no odd vibrations.

The current thought is that perhaps the wide tires, and the suregrip, with the relatively short wheel base, are causing some deflection in the steel 8" (Cragar soft 8) wheels, thus making the squeaky sound.

Is this plausible? Tires are Cooper Cobra 295/50/15 on the 8" wide Cragar Soft 8 wheel. (should I look at switching to the 10" wide wheel to better fit the wide tire?)

Axles are Dutchman with green bearings

Rear is a cone style suregrip

I can learn to live with the squeak, its not that noticeable, I just would like to be sure I'm not missing a larger issue.

8043453-92Dakota.jpg (43 downloads)

Join the Penguin Liberation Front!!
Stop the Hippo Occupation!