I've replied before on this and have been called everything from a fool to a liar. Well, they didn't say that, but everyone sure implied that they had no problems at all. At all. as in ever. Mine was a 73 Charger with a B&M Star Shifter. I wrapped the cable with header wrap, muffler wrap, and everything else I could think of. I used springs and bracketry and everything else to keep it away from header heat. The thin plastic sheath would melt. It didn't matter what length of cable I used or how I routed it, it would be in close proximity of the headers and cause meltdown. I would seriously look into something else. Or, if nothing else, drill holes in your trans tunnel, use rubber grommets, and rout the cable INSIDE your car, then back out to connect to your trans. Think outside the box. Good luck. Those people that said they had no problems never said how they routed theirs or what length of cable they used. I also had problems with the shifter being adjusted properly to work correctly. Why do you think you need to shift an automatic? Seriously? It shifts on it's own. Set up correctly, you don't need to shift by hand. There is absolutely no reason to overide an automatic, unlesss you are trying to overcome the governor. You cannot phyisically outshift an automatic transmission, if it is set up properly. (Just my opinion, some may disagree) USE FACTORY stuff, and you won't run into this problem. Do you think that you can outshift an automatic? I bought a Buick Grand National brand new, back in 1987. I tried to ram the gas pedal to the floor and shift manually. ONE TIME. That's all it took for me to realize what a dumbass I was. By the time I was trying to shift into second, the car was wanting to go into third. I probably caused the damage that warranted the trans being rebuilt at 100.000 miles later. I never attempted that again. Why the hell are you using a cheap aftermarket shifter with a crappy plastic cable system? Why not go factory and let the transmission do it's job? I will get flamed for this. Whatever. You cause your own problems. Go factory. Ditch the cheesy plastic shifter cable. I spent countless hours of downtime, countless hours trying to make a workaround. Factory had it covered from day one. Everything fit, everything worked. No more hassle or headache trying to re-engineer something that was thought out from the get go. If this is a street car, get over it and go factory stuff. The magazine articles lie to you to sell copies. Nothing ever works as well as factory designed stuff. No onwe ever has problems in magazine land. lol.