He will be sorely missed. A true fighter. He was always upbeat. Damn you cancer, Randy was a treasure to know.

Randy has been a friend of our family since 1976 when he bought a car that would cement his love for Mopar's 440 engine. The car was my Dad's 1969 Charger 500. Randy loved the 500 because it was rare and fast. He used it as a daily driver and street raced on weekends.

Two years ago at the Dream Cruise Randy told me one of his favorite racing stories while driving that car back in the '70's which was how he got two drag racing tickets - on the same weekend!

On a Saturday night, after receiving a big fat drag racing ticket the night before, once again he was pulled over for drag racing. This time he figured it wouldn't hurt to try some logic that might appeal to the cops good nature. He pulled Friday's ticket out of the center console for a failed attempt to explain just how unjust his situation was. Unfortunately getting two tickets in two nights doesn't help your case - or make a cop feel sorry for you. Randy told me these exact words "I told the cop I already got one of those last night". The cop said "that should have taught you a lesson".

That was just one of the great stories he told me about driving the 500 back in those days... He was a great guy.