Quote:

Picked up a poly 318 out of a 1967 coronet(?). That's what my friend said.

So now I have the motor. What vehicles does it fit? When did they stop the front engine mount deal?

Last question. Will this poly fit in a 59 coronet? Or does the 59 have the front mount?

I don't believe any Mopar V-8's used the front mount, only the flatheads, and I'm not sure they still were by 1959. At any rate, the early poly 318 blocks used cast-in ears on each side of the block. The earliest poly mounts were different, but by 1959, the V-8 mounts for A and B V-8's were a cup that bolted with a bracket to each side of the block that fit over a rubber solid tube looking thing that bolted to the front crossmember. The rubber part was not physically bolted to the block in any way; the weight of the motor and the angle of the cup/rubber kept it together. Sounds weird, but apparently it worked.

I'm sure you could rig up brackets to use the later mounts, but if you could find the early cup-style motor mount brackets, they will bolt up to a later 318, and the rubber biscuits are still available. With them, you could bolt in a later poly 318 to a 59 chassis.

Transmission is a different matter. A 59 poly 318 transmission won't bolt up to a 62 or later poly 318. Besides the extended crank flange issue, the bolt pattern on the back of the block is different. You can use a later transmission with the later motor, but you'll have to fabricate a trans mount. If you use a later pushbutton trans, the 59 pushbuttons will work if you use a later cable, assuming your 59 was originally a Torqueflite, not a Powerflite.

Here's a pic of the back side of a pre-62 poly 318: