I've built several engines over the years, but soon I'll do what I have yet to do : Degree in a camshaft.
The 440/493 in the Charger has had detonation problems for years. I've determined that the 185-192 PSI cranking numbers are too high for pump 91 gasoline. I have had to limit ignition timing to 30-31 degrees and still had to feather-foot it in hot weather to avoid the knock.
Upon the guidance and advice from some helpful members here and other web forums, it was made clear that my 10.7 compression ratio and the 292/509 MP cam are a mismatch. I'd either need to lower the compression or change to a different cam. If I changed to dished pistons, the cylinder pressure and cranking PSIs would come down. If I kept the pistons but instead changed the cam to a more aggressive stick with a later intake closing, the cylinder pressure and cranking PSIs would come down. The difference between the two?
Changing the cam will unleash much more power. Guess which way I decided to go???
A member of another site forum suggested the cam. It is a Lunati solid flat tappet and it is much more aggressive compared to the MP 509. Check out these specs:

7789042-DSCN1724.JPG (196 downloads)
Last edited by Frankenduster; 08/23/13 05:11 PM.