entries found for affect.
To select an entry, click on it.
affect[1,noun]affect[2,verb]affect[3,transitive verb]

Main Entry: 1af·fect
Pronunciation: 'a-"fekt
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin affectus, from afficere
1 obsolete : FEELING, AFFECTION
2 : the conscious subjective aspect of an emotion considered apart from bodily changes
usage see EFFECT

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=effect&x=15&y=18

25 entries found for effect. The first 10 are listed below.
To select an entry, click on it. For more results, click here.
effect[1,noun]effect[2,transitive verb]Auger effectBohr effectCoriolis effectdomino effectDoppler effectedge effectfield-effect transistorgreenhouse effect

Main Entry: 1ef·fect
Pronunciation: i-'fekt, e-, E-
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French & Latin; Middle French, from Latin effectus, from efficere to bring about, from ex- + facere to make, do -- more at DO
1 a : PURPORT, INTENT b : basic meaning : ESSENCE
2 : something that inevitably follows an antecedent (as a cause or agent)
3 : an outward sign : APPEARANCE
4 : ACCOMPLISHMENT, FULFILLMENT
5 : power to bring about a result : INFLUENCE <the content itself of television ... is therefore less important than its effect -- Current Biography>
6 plural : movable property : GOODS <personal effects>
7 a : a distinctive impression <the color gives the effect of being warm> b : the creation of a desired impression <her tears were purely for effect> c (1) : something designed to produce a distinctive or desired impression -- usually used in plural (2) plural : SPECIAL EFFECTS
8 : the quality or state of being operative : OPERATION <the law goes into effect next week>
- in effect : in substance : VIRTUALLY <the ... committee agreed to what was in effect a reduction in the hourly wage -- Current Biography>
- to the effect : with the meaning <issued a statement to the effect that he would resign>

Tom

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown