this is what my 85 d-150 stepside came with..

85-318 roller cam block/flat tappet cam

#302 heads/closed chamber fast burn swirl port heads 1.78/1.60 valves

cast iron BBD 2-v carb

727a stock high stall/lock up TC

9 1/4 3.21 sg

they did come with a 360 4-v,not sure about a 318 4-v

but in 85-88 318 4-v engines say in a gran fury or dippy cop car it did use a cast iron intake with a q-jet and would come with a roller cam 318 block but have a flat tappet cam AND 360 open chamber heads with 1.88/1.60 valves.

this is how I set my my truck up when I replaced the 85-318 with a 88 360 headed/4-v 318 cop engine with a 72 chebby q-jet. in 02' then in 07' I replaced the stock flat tappet cam and installed stock roller lifters and valve train hardware added a lunati roller cam with a set of comp spring droped on the stock heads.

I have now installed that roller cam in a 91 318 that was a TBI engine and has the #302 heads.

I ran the stock 360 4-v intake with a q-jet but it had a slight bog when the rear barrels kick in. so I went back to the LD4B intake which has the small ports for small port 318 heads,with the q-jet on a square/spred bore adaptor. bog is gone/lots of low end torque now.

I have found that with the stock 1-piece 4-v throttle bracket/rod/trans lever you can use the stock intake/LD4B/LD340/holley street dom intakes with very little mods to the stock linkage.

I just converted to a 3-piece linkage from a car with slight mods to the down rod for more adjustability on the truck.

maybe this will help you with some of the stuff on the truck.

first thing is pull a VC and ID the heads.. 360 heads will have a big 360 cast into the head under the VC on one end.

then you know whats under the 4-v intake. going large to small is the biggest disadvantage on this combo.

the small port LD4B worked rather well on the 360 headed 318 and really woke it up over a stock intake or the performer intake.

look on the front of intake for the date stamp cast iinto it, this would also help ID if it is all stock.

how does said engine run when you stomp on it?