Quote:

Not everyone can afford $175plus for new on top of new parts to install or if he pays somebody to install them.Its $500-1000 to have a rear end set up. I bought a 89 Shortbed from a coworker and when he owned it the rear end went out. He paid $650 for a Used rear and to have it installed. I thought he was nuts because hes not dumb when it comes to wrenching Junkyard only charges$100-150 for a complete rear.
If you Have the funds available Id get new if not get what you can afford.

If he can't set the rear axle up himself, he is still paying someone to set it up, weather the replacement gears are new or used. If i have to pay someone to set up the gears in an axle, I'm putting new gears in there. If he can set it up himself, the used gears may make sense.

Personally, I would replace the entire axle. If the ring & pinion are broke or wore out, all that metal from the gears has been floating around along with the gear lube and has passed through the bearings. Unless your renewing everything, I wouldn't take the chance the bearings are not going to crap out next, in a short time. Gene