You sure can! I actually took the factory trans temp sensor out which is inline just coming out of the front tranny line going to the oil cooler, and put the aftermarket sensor (Napa, VDO). I run an electronic temp gauge, and running at highway speeds is about 155degrees. Temporarily, you have to jumper the trans temp sensor plug (paperclip etc) or just let it hang but plugged in. Otherwise, it wont kick into 4th. This spot is THE best place for the sensor, that fluid will be the hottest (and most accurate) coming out of that line, those aftermarket tranny pan sensor locations will not even show up on a gauge.

Mine is in a '92 cummins auto OD nonlockup but yours is pretty similar, but with lockup. Towing 7K up a hill just to see what heat I could make in OD, I got up to 180degrees and didnt get past that.

So what I did with the factory sensor is I teed it in right before it goes into the front trans cooler line. There is actually factory rubber hose for a stretch which makes it perfect spot to put it with barbed fittings. You'll have to extend your 2wires up to that spot from the tranny. I don't recommend cutting up your nice factory bent steel tranny lines, they are not cheap from Dodge if you can get them.

Here's a pic of the tee before I installed it. The '93older don't have a "hot trans temp" lite in the cab, when it gets too hot, it just kicks it out of 4th gear, and that lets ya know.. So the factory sensor is my "backup" and I just watch the gauge.. The way I see it, if you see that trans temp lite comes on, sometimes it may be too late. ATF thermal breakdown probably starts at 230degree up, if you'r running that high anyways, you are shortening your lifespan of that tranny a great deal. I wouldnt run over 200degrees if I could.

Make sense?

-Jimbo