Quote:

I've got a friend with a '97ish Dodge Avenger, and I was talking with him yesterday about it, and ended up with a question-

Does the Avenger with the 420a use the same transmission as a Neon? Is it the same engine as the one from a Neon?

I think both are true- he has another buddy ranting that because it's based on a Mitsubishi Galant platform, even though the engine is a 420A and the trans is on the opposite side of the car from where a Mitsu trans would be in the engine bay, he insists that both the engine and transmission are different than those in Neons.

It came down to this- He wants to put a SRT-4 drivetrain into his Avenger, and other guy thinks that swapping in a 4G63 (DSM) engine/trans would be easier. I find that hard to believe when I see people going from 420As in Neons to the 2.4 from time to time and was previously told they mount exactly the same

So... anyone know?

Why not use a turbo Eclipse engine or turbo Laser engine?

Those engines are matched more closely to the year of your buddies Avenger and made 210ish hp stock. Not much less than the 2.4 SRT/4 engine.

Ryan "Bigs" '73 Duster (BLKDUST) - Black, 100% factory sheet metal, flat hood, 346 cid, J Heads, and a bench seat. http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj1/bigsbigelow/ Best to date: 12.40 @ 109 mph