Holy Moly, Mark!!
Thanks for posting this "vent" for me!! You speak the truth and are not alone. It's been two years back for me (and a buddy with a '70 Cutlass is on his 4th year back from the body shop).

Only by coming here do I get cheerful and encouraging feedback - so pull up a chair my friend, and let's share our stories:

- I took my faded but running and driving 57,000 mile '65 Satellite hardtop off the road for disassembly and a 'light restoration' starting in 2006.
- I had engine and drivetrain out by 2007. Got the tranny and engine rebuilt w/cam & compression in early 2008.
[ - Insert arrival of 3rd child here]
- Got the car stripped down to a shell and to the paint shop by Summer of 2010. I got it back w/fresh paint, new glass, new vinyl top in Fall 2010.
- Dash, lights and wiring restoration took most of 2011.
- Fired the engine for the first time last April, and took it out around the neighborhood on my birthday Summer 2012!!
- Started all the trim and details that summer, and continued this winter.
- Although I spent winters working on all the subassemblies I could get my head around, I'm still putting it back together..
- SOME things are becoming a little easier and fun as the remaining work gets smaller and smaller. Interior trim will go quick, once I get that far..

Like you, I've discovered the following:
1.) Just because something is put back together again, DOESN'T mean it's going to work.
2.) When you run into a problem, DON'T set it aside for later. All that does is pile up all the problems for the END, when you'll want to be having an EASY time reassembling the car.
3.) I am not cut out for restorations. This is my first, and my last. At least I can take 'Restore a big block Mopar' off my bucket list (when its done)

BUT... when I step back in the warm summer sun and have a look at her, she does take my breath away, and THAT makes it worth it in the end...

Here she is on my birthday last summer.

Quote:

So, it is now ONE year since I have gotten my 70 Sport Satellite back home from the body shop . . . no, it is not all together yet !!

And then you get things together as meticulously as you can, and then it doesn't work as intended, and you have to start trouble shooting and figuring out how you screwed it up and how you have to fix it !!!

I wouldn't change it for anything. . . . just needed to vent and take a moment to relax and get away from the garage . . .

Anyone else find the same feelings during their build/restoration ???

Cheers

Mark

65 Satellite hardtop 361/4bbl console 727 2.76
67 Satellite convert 383/2bbl column 727 3.23
67 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato. Alloy body, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
67 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3. Alloy panel, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
71 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300 Zagato, 1.3L 4cyl DOHC hemi 5-spd
82 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5L SOHC hemi V6 5-spd transaxle
75 Maserati Bora US spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
77 Maserati Khamsin Euro spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
07 Aston Martin DB9 6.0L DOHC V12 6spd transaxle