My '72 Cuda came with the V21 blacked out hood option, and the original grille was indeed body colored. My car is Basin Street Blue (B3) with no vinyl roof or side stripes. One other "interesting" item my car originally had (and still has) is the headlight buckets are all chrome, with no black paint around the headlights. When I first got the car I thought that someone had somehow removed the paint, but after careful inspection it appears they came this way from the factory.

I restored my car back in 1990 and at the time I didn't like the look of the blacked out hood so I left it off (some restoration, ha...). I did have the forethought to fully document the treatment however and I have photos and sketches with the critical dimensions if I can locate them. When I redo the car (in the next two years) I plan to put the original hood treatment back because it has kind of grown on me. I don't have the original grille however, so I will stick with the argent silver NOS one that I bought for $135 back in 1989