Hey people I have a question. My factory 383 is getting pretty tired after 40 years of hard work and I am starting to think ahead of either having a professional builder or a shop redo the engine or maybe buy a crate motor and upgrade to a 440?

I have heard so many horror stories about shops that do awful rebuilding work or make mistakes and cause failures almost immediately. I can't even think of anyone I could even go to who does this type of thing anymore around me.

Keeping the original numbers matching engine is great for purists, but is it easier and more cost effective to just by a readymade motor? Also i think the time would be much quicker with just a pull out and install the new engine that having to store the car at a shop while the original engine gets sent out for rebuild.

In the end am looking for something that is set up for long life, durability, fuel economy over lots of horsepower.

So how about some opinions on what to do? If you anyone knows of a good place to buy a ready done crate engine I would love to hear it.

Thanks
Stu