Quote:

For what it's worth, the factory mopar oil coolers were mounted in front of the radiator, at about center-block level. They are fed from the upper oil gallery, and where it came out of the block, there's a factory mopar checkvalve for anti-drain back. As long as you do something like that, you're at least as good as factory.

If you want that part number, I can get it for you. can probably still find them. I'm sure they are around as typical race parts, too.

I think mopar did more than just that for the stock oil cooler package.

my stock oil cooler from the 88 cop car was set up this way. full pressure feed to the cooler from the oil sender hole on the SB and back to the hollow fuel pump bolt to oil t-chain and return oil to the pan.

had timed oiling to the rockers on #2 & #4 cam journal.
#1 cam bearing had full time oiling groove to #1 main bearing.
#1,2,3,4,5 main bearings were full groove for better supply to oil rod bearings. standerd volume oil pump.

no check valve on mine , and I have found the bearings speced like this on at least 3 cop engines I have torn down. longevity was the goal on a stock oil cooler package.

the anti drainback valve on the oil filter should hold most of the prime on the pump side.IMO.