DoctorDiff wrote:
Quote:

I have a 5 gallon bucket half full of stripped out power-lock side gears with partial spline engagement that suggests otherwise.

A previous regular (Dennis) on this forum claimed to have a bucket full of failed Greens. Go figure.

What percentage of Greens are used on stock factory axles compared to aftermarket? The factory axle usually has 1/8" of chamfer at the end, if the Greens position the axle in the same relative position, the spline engagement is the same so what's gained?

The only time your argument holds water is if longer-than- stock aftermarket axles are used. How often are aftermarket axles spec'd longer than stock compare to stock?

Once again the "uneducated" argument can be used to argue one versus the other.

Quote:

Did you even read my explanation about tape measurements and custom housing/axle lengths?

Sarcasm noted. You're making an argument based on the use of aftermarket axles while seeming to advocate the use of Greens as being accceptable across the board.

Again I'll ask, do you have verifiable statistics on the percentage of Greens used on stock versus aftermarket? If so, I'm all ears.

Quote:

Of course the tapered bearing itsself is stronger. Did I ever say it wasn't? Just because X is stronger than Y, that doesn't make Y junk. Application is everyting.

Never said they were junk (I occasionally use them myself), you're arguing that "there is nothing wrong with the Green Bearing" which, as you state, depends on application. IOW the Green isn't an across-the-board suitable replacement.

Quote:

Why are you arguing with this fact? I would never get anything done if I had to constantly diagnose set 7 wheel bearing installation problems over the phone.

Once again you're basing your argument on something other than the bearing itself. I used to be in the TF transmission business and spent a lot of time on the phone diagnosing problems caused by installer errors; should I have just told them to get a TurboHydro?

Quote:

How do you suggest I make set 7 equipped axles the exact correct length, when all I have to go by is the customer's tape measurement in a non stock application?

Ever tried math? And, again you're basing your argument on the use of aftermarket pieces. If someone just wants to replace worn out bearings in a stock rear end would you recommend the Greens simply because they're easier?

Many contributors to this forum have flatly stated that they replaced their factory bearings with Greens simply because they didn't want to be bothered with the adjuster. That's a sad testament to laziness.

Quote:

In addition, most people don't want to pay me more to put used adjusters on new axles and to blueprint the axle lengths even if I do have the housing in front of me.

Ever consider that the reason nobody is making the effort to repop the factory adjusters is because everybody is recommending the Greens?

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway