I think the stock 340 tray was developed as an all around part: road racing and drag. Not too many outfits have articulated dynos where they can tilt the engine 30, 40 degrees front to back or side to side.

There is an SAE paper from Mercedes (750051) from when they were developing their V8 that shows the aeration levels at different angles. They chose a scraper array across the rear floor of the pan, angled so that a vector would return the oil to the sump. Ford also used this tech (and Porsche). For high performance Mercedes installed a dry sump system for its street V8 engines (very limited numbers).

I read some of the remarks from contributors here on years back threads. Adding sump baffles is a good idea -- guess what -- many are technically windage trays as well. Look at the stock SBC setup with surge baffles and a secondary plate over the sump -- that is a dual level tray system. There are technically complex factory wetsumps like the Nissan RB26DETT that have triple level trays.

I just looked at a 360 core out back -- rounded two bolt caps. Surprise, surprise, surprise as Gomer would say.